Home > English site > Articles > Add-ins do not load

Excel add-ins fail to load

Introduction

Lately (I wrote this page on August 17, 2016) I've been getting reports from people complaining that they can no longer use add-ins. In this article I describe the problem and a solution.

The problem

Even though an add-in has been "installed" into Excel using the Add-ins dialog its userinterface does not show. This is that dialog:

Add-ins dialog of Excel

As you can see, some add-ins are checked. But sometimes the user-interface of an add-in fails to display. In fact, the add-in file will not open in Excel at all, even if you try from Windows Explorer, or from File, Open from within Excel. Without any error message.

The cause

A recent Office Security update has caused any file downloaded from the internet (so this includes add-ins) to be marked as Blocked. Even if those files were in a zip container, they are marked as blocked. And Excel will simply not open them.

Solution

Unblock the files! Like so:

1. Copy the file from the zip file to any folder

2. Right-click the file and choose properties:

Select file properties

3. Click the Unblock button:

Click Unblock

Other resources

If you have a folder full of blocked files, this page describes a way to unblock all of them using Powershell.

And a great article by fellow-MVP Jon Acampora: Excel Add-in Ribbon Disappears After Installation.

This article describes the mechanics of the problem very well: http://www.howtogeek.com/70012/what-causes-the-file-downloaded-from-the-internet-warning-and-how-can-i-easily-remove-it/

Comments

Showing last 8 comments of 32 in total (Show All Comments):

Comment by: Aslam (18-10-2018 08:19:12)

I was also having problem with Add-Ins and search alot of articles in this regard but didn't get any solution about, but this article helped me by Right Clicking property of add-ins and Unblocked the addins. now its working FINE many many thanks to the team.

Comment by: joan jiang (2-11-2018 20:38:01)

how many ways to insert the date picker function?

Comment by: Eddy Van Wulpen (2-7-2019 19:36:00)

Great,

only when I protect the sheet it doens't work,
even if you unlock the cell

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (3-7-2019 11:05:00)

Hi Eddy,

I'm not sure what you are referring to?

Comment by: Eddy Van Wulpen (3-7-2019 14:01:00)

Hi Jan Karel,

put a date in a cell
DatePicker works
Go to Cell Properties>Properties>Unlock
Now Protect sheet>Unlocked cells only
DatePicker failed

Solution:
Protect sheet>Unlocked cells + Edit objects
DatePicker works
Disadvantage: all other objects in the sheet can be moved or changed

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (3-7-2019 16:17:00)

Hi Eddy,

Hmm, This is probably implementation-specific and has nothing to do with the page (this page) you placed your comment on. Depending on how this DatePicker works, the code will need to be adjusted.

Comment by: Adam Alhayek (25-11-2019 16:33:00)

hi

when i try to add date i get msg " run-time error '13'
" type mismatch"

Comment by: Jan Karel Pieterse (25-11-2019 16:42:00)

Hi Adam,

When exactly do you get this message? Is it with any of my downloads? If so, which one?

Your e-mail address (optional, will only be used to inform you when your comment is published or to respond to your question directly):

Your request or comment (max 2000 characters):

I give permission to process this data and display my name and my comment on this website accoring to our Privacy Policy.